what you say ‘bout my sideways frame
what you say ‘bout my sideways frame
Oh lord. Pulling out the old stuff from the archives. This is a commission I did for a foodie blog several years back.
That’s all vector work, bee-tee-dubs. Phew. x_x
An oldie, but a goodie! I made this back in 2011 for Geek Girl Con’s inaugural event in Seattle. I ended up making a limited run of screen prints of this image and donating them to the staff to do with what they wanted.
Phew! Busy holiday season was busy! As soon as the boys and I got back from visiting my family in Colorado, I was asked to make a prop vest for an act in the Miltown Kings drag show. This project took me about a week of evenings to complete.
The Goal: To make a piece of prop clothing from which candy entrails could be pulled out and devoured at the end of the act.
The Solution: A pull-over bodice piece with two front vest flaps lined with strips of velcro to make the pockets for the candy “entrails.”
Step 1: Get performer’s bound measurements (as she would be performing in drag) and find a simple pattern to build off of. After some looking around, I found an awesome free pattern (the Sorbetto Blouse by Colette Designs) that I could easily alter to suit my needs.
After drawing the vest I needed and assessing the pattern, I decided to cut out two extra front pieces and sew them seperately to create the tear-away vest portion of the bodice.
Step 2: Pin and sew, and pin and sew some more!
Here you can see that I’ve pinned each of the vest halves together:
Then I stitched them, turned them, pressed them and edge-stitched them. Afterwards, I pinned, sewed, folded and pressed the pleat into the front half of the bodice:
Step 3: ADD ALL THE VELCRO!
I figured out how big I wanted each of the pockets to be, marked the measurements on the front half of the bodice, and then quickly discovered that sewing velcro on in a straight and consistent manner is a huge pain the in ass.
After cussing at the vest for a short time and looking around for possible solutions, I settled on this:
Iron-on adhesive! I attached it to both sides of the velcro and then sort of… fenagled it in there…
…and then I ironed it all on and sewed the edges of the velcro to make it sturdy and easily removable.
Step 4: Sew the front to the back and call it a day! …or don’t, whatever.
I could have called it done here, but decided to add a couple of finishing touches. The edges of the neckline and armscyes were unfinished, and there was a little voice in my head that was nagging me to finish them up. Instead of drinking the voice away, like a usually do, I decided to listen to it and make some bias tape to put around the edges to finish them off and make them tidy-looking:
Step 5: Is it done yet?!
After I sewed the font piece to the back piece by attaching it at the shoulders and sideseams, that sum’bitch was DONE. My first-ever functional piece of clothing resembles a marshmallow flac vest, and I couldn’t be any more proud :D
The vest fit perfectly on the first try, and I’ve gotten reports that it performed smoothly during the drag show, as well! Here is the wonderful Faye Tahl (with the un-pictured vest holding her sweet candy innards safely beneath her jacket), and the lovely Jacque Andau:
Hopefully I can post some video of the vest in action soon!
In my continuing quest to sew interesting products for a wide demographic of my fellow geeks, I’ve been pondering making a line of chokers and collars. As quite a few of my friends are involved in the kink community, I thought it would be nifty to start designing some collars for light play/discreet wear! The prototype I came up with today isn’t particularly geeky, but its design is simple enough that I can modify it in myriad of geeky ways!
Observation #1: Need to come up with a better way to add the stabilizer. This was the most time consuming part of the process, and was a gigantic pain in the ass >.<
I got bored with sewing rectangles, so I decided to sew more rectangles and attach the rectangles to the rectangles. Shut up, it makes perfect sense. XD
As you can plainly see, this collar matches perfectly with my Jurassic Park t-shirt. Now I just need to figure out what kind of fasteners to use. For this one, I’m thinking of snaps, but for future protypes I will likely go with a buckle configuration to allow the design to fit all different sizes.
All in all a pretty painless prototype! Hooray! :3
A buddy of mine turned a year older this last week, and yesterday was his birthday party! Due to some unforseen depression issues, however, I was unable to attend the celebration, but I was still quite determined to get his gift to him in a timely fashion.
Fortunately, making this gift was an excellent opportunity to test out a technique I’ve been wanting to try for future wallet and bag designs: machine embroidery!
So far in my experiments, I’m finding that making custom-embroidered designs for fabric wallets requires some “fussy cutting”; that is to say, where the pattern is cut from the fabric in order to accomdate a specific design in the fabric (in this case, the honey bee I had embroidered). Fussy cutting doesn’t really allow for the meticulous salvage of every square inch of fabric, but the results are quite lovely all the same.
This isn’t a typical color palette for me, as I prefer bold high-contrast hues… still, I really enjoyed the subtle play of blue-greens and yellow in this piece. I hope the birthday boy enjoys them, too! :D